Although political development depends on many factors, an important component is the social and political values of the public. For the first time in human history, we have systematic evidence on some aspects of public opinion for the vast majority of nations in the world. These tend to focus on the cultural prerequisites for democracy, the development of democratic elections, and the policy priorities of these publics. The following resources and readings highlight the new research being done in developing nations, which is one of the most rapidly growing areas of public opinion research.
A major advance in public opinion research has been the expansion of surveying beyond citizens in established democracies to the publics in developing nations. In many instances, the project websites include access to the opinion surveys or other reports based on these surveys.
LAST MODIFIED: 11/29/2011
Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content on this page. Please subscribe or login.
How to Subscribe
Oxford Bibliographies Online is available by subscription and perpetual access to institutions and individuals. For more information or to contact an Oxford Sales Representative click here.
Purchase an Ebook Version of This Article
Ebooks of the Oxford Bibliographies Online subject articles are available in North America via a number of retailers including Amazon, vitalsource, and more. Simply search on their sites for Oxford Bibliographies Online Research Guides and your desired subject article.
If you would like to purchase an eBook article and live outside North America please email firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest.
- Advanced Democracies, Electoral System Reform in
- Advanced Democracies, Public Opinion and Public Policy in
- Advertising and Election Campaigns in the United States
- Africa, Comparative Politics of
- Arendt, Hannah
- Australia and New Zealand, Comparative Politics of
- Bicameralism in Stable Democracies
- Brazilian Political Development
- Channels of Electoral Representation in Advanced Industria...
- China's One-Child Policy
- China-Taiwan Relations
- Civil War in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Cosmopolitan Political Thought
- Crisis of European Integration in Historical Perspective, ...
- Democracy and Authoritarianism in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Democracy and Dictatorship in Central Asia
- Democratic Citizenship
- Democratic Peace Theory
- Democratization in Central America
- Development of Survey Research
- East Africa, Politics of
- Eurasia, Comparative Politics of
- European Social Democracy
- European Union, Politics of the
- Failed and Weak States in Theory and Practice
- Federalism in the United States
- Filibuster, The
- Global Inequality
- Governance in Africa
- Immigrant Incorporation in Canada
- Impact of Campaign Contributions on Congressional Behavior...
- Indigenous Rights and Governance in Canada, Australia, and...
- Interest Groups in American Politics
- International Conflict Management
- International Political Economy of Illegal Drugs
- Iran, Political Development of
- Israeli Politics
- Judicial Supremacy and National Judicial Review
- Latin America, Democratic Transitions in
- Latin America, Environmental Policy and Politics in
- Latin America, Guerrilla Insurgencies in
- Latin America, Social Movements in
- Legal Mobilization
- Local Governments in the United States
- Mechanisms of Representation
- Media Effects in Politics
- NATO, Politics of
- North America, Comparative Politics of
- Oil, Politics of
- Partisan Polarization in the US Electorate
- Party Networks
- Political Thought of the American Founders, The
- Politics and Policy in Contemporary Argentina
- Politics of Higher Education in the U.S.
- Politics of Natural Disasters, The
- Post-Communist Democratization
- Preferential Trade Agreements, Politics of
- Public Opinion in Advanced Industrial Democracies
- Public Opinion in New Democracies and Developing Nations
- Regime Transitions and Variation in Post-Communist Europe
- Regional Security
- State Building in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Supreme Court of the United States, The
- Taiwan, Politics of
- Tea Party, The
- Transitional Justice
- US Military Bases Abroad
- Welfare State Development
- West Africa, Politics of
- Worker Politics in China