- LAST REVIEWED: 22 November 2016
- LAST MODIFIED: 29 May 2015
- DOI: 10.1093/obo/9780199756223-0059
- LAST REVIEWED: 22 November 2016
- LAST MODIFIED: 29 May 2015
- DOI: 10.1093/obo/9780199756223-0059
Israel is a parliamentary democracy that was established in 1948. However, the foundations of its political system were laid before the state was established, in the framework of the Zionist movement and the Jewish community in Palestine, especially at the time of the British Mandate (1920–1948). Israel is a multicleavage society. The main rift is between Jews (about 75 percent of the population, as of 2011) and Arab/Palestinian citizens (about 20 percent). Prominent rifts also exist among the Jews: the religious–secular rift, the intra-Jewish communal rift (Ashkenazi–Mizrachi), the ideological rift (left–right), and the rift among new immigrants and natives and veteran immigrants. Partly as a result of the highly proportional electoral system, these social rifts are translated into multiparty politics and coalition governments.
General Overviews and Textbooks
Galnoor and Blander 2013, Arian 2005 and Mahler 2010 are basic introductory textbooks. Shapira 2014 presents the history of the Yishuv and Israel from the late 19th century to the present day. Freedman 2009 is a recent collection that contains overviews on domestic politics, foreign affairs, and security. Dowty 1998 also covers a lot of ground in an attempt to assess the shaping of Israeli democracy and its challenges. Shafir and Peled 2002 is a critical study that focuses on identity and citizenship and its development from the beginning of the modern Zionist movement to the present. Eisenstadt 1992 presents a historical and comparative perspective on the survival and adaptations of the Jewish culture and discusses the Israeli polity within this perspective. Barnett 1996 and Levi-Faur, et al. 1999 struggle with claims concerning Israel’s uniqueness and look at various issues, making the case for its comparability and for its understanding through comparative tools.
Arian, Asher. Politics in Israel: The Second Republic. 2d ed. Washington, DC: CQ Press, 2005.
A basic introductory textbook that centers on Israeli political institutions (parties, interest group, state institutions); behavioral aspects (electoral behavior, political culture); and issues such as political economy and public policy.
Barnett, Michael N., ed. Israel in Comparative Perspective: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom. Albany: State University of New York Press, 1996.
The chapters in this collection look at the general question of comparability, drawing on an array of international relations and domestic issues to make their case. These include foreign policy, the Diaspora, gender, economy, society formation, and Zionism.
Dowty, Alan. The Jewish State: A Century Later. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1998.
This book examines the shaping of Israeli democracy, specifically with the influences of Jewish politics, Zionism, the security threat, and ideology. It then examines the main challenges to democracy: the rifts between Jews originating from different countries and regions (Ashkenazi and Mizrachi), between the secular and religious sectors, and between Jews and Arabs, as well as the Israeli occupation of the West Bank and Gaza.
Eisenstadt, Shmuel N. Jewish Civilization: The Jewish Historical Experience in a Comparative Perspective. Albany: State University of New York Press, 1992.
This work presents a historical and comparative perspective on the survival and adaptations of the Jewish culture and presents the Israeli polity within this perspective.
Freedman, Robert O., ed. Contemporary Israel: Domestic Politics, Foreign Policy, and Security Challenges. Boulder, CO: Westview, 2009.
A recent collection that contains chapters written by prominent scholars of Israeli politics. It covers, for example, domestic politics, Israel’s political parties, the Supreme Court and the economy; foreign affairs (with special attention given to Israel’s relations with the Palestinians), the Arab world and the United States, and security challenges.
Galnoor, Itzhak, and Dana Blander. Hamaarechet Hapolitit Beyisrael. Tel Aviv: Am Oved and Israel Democracy Institute, 2013.
A two-volume comprehensive introductory textbook. The first volume includes chapters on state formation, political institutions, civil society, and various aspects of political behavior. The second volume discusses the problems of security, the status of Israel’s Arab/Palestinian citizens, economic inequality and social gaps, religion and state, and overviews Israel’s political culture.
Levi-Faur, David, Gabriel Sheffer, and David Vogel, eds. Israel: Dynamics of Change and Continuity. London: Frank Cass, 1999.
A group of leading scholars struggle with claims concerning Israel’s uniqueness. They explore the general question of comparability and also address issues such as the courts, constitutional politics, leadership, interest politics, political economy, and public policy.
Mahler, Gregory S. Politics and Government in Israel: The Maturation of a Modern State. 2d ed. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2010.
A basic introductory textbook that supplies an overview of the historical, political, and social setting; the main political institutions (governmental, parties, interest groups); and foreign policy, including the Palestinians and the peace process.
Shafir, Gershon, and Yoav Peled. Being Israeli: The Dynamics of Multiple Citizenship. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2002.
A critical study that focuses on identity and citizenship and its development from the beginning of the modern Zionist movement up to the present. The book deals with the various social rifts and their development, with changes in the economy and the implications of the Israeli occupation of the West Bank and Gaza.
Shapira, Anita. Israel: A History. Waltham, MA: Brandeis University Press, 2014.
History of Israel from the origins of the Zionist movement in the late 19th century to the early 21st century.
Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content on this page. Please subscribe or login.
How to Subscribe
Oxford Bibliographies Online is available by subscription and perpetual access to institutions. For more information or to contact an Oxford Sales Representative click here.
- Advanced Democracies, Electoral System Reform in
- Advanced Democracies, Public Opinion and Public Policy in
- Advertising and Election Campaigns in the United States
- Africa, Comparative Politics of
- American Indian Politics
- Arab-Israel Conflict, The
- Arendt, Hannah
- Aristotle's Political Thought
- Arms Race Modeling
- Australia and New Zealand, Comparative Politics of
- Authoritarianism in Russia
- Bicameralism in Stable Democracies
- Big Data in Political Science Research
- Biopolitics and State Regulation of Human Life
- Brazilian Political Development
- Business-State Relations in Europe
- Campaign Finance in the Era of Super-PACS
- Canadian Foreign Policy
- Candidate Emergence and Recruitment
- Channels of Electoral Representation in Advanced Industria...
- China's One-Child Policy
- China-Taiwan Relations
- Chinese Communist Party
- Chinese Economic Policy
- Chinese Nationalism
- Civil Society in South Asia
- Civil War in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Civil-Military Relations in Asia
- Civil-Military Relations in Latin America
- Class in American Politics
- Comparative Capitalism Theory
- Comparative Industrial Relations in Europe
- Comparative Politics of Angola, Mozambique, and Guinea-Bis...
- Comparative Politics of Chile and Uruguay
- Comparative Politics of Federalism
- Comparative Politics of the Middle East and North Africa
- Congress, Defense, and Foreign Policy
- Congressional Reassertion of Authority
- Conservative Litigation Strategies and Groups in US Judici...
- Corruption in China
- Cosmopolitan Political Thought
- Crisis of European Integration in Historical Perspective, ...
- Critical Theory and the Frankfurt School
- Cuban Political Development
- Cycles of Protest
- Democracy and Authoritarianism in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Democracy and Dictatorship in Central Asia
- Democracy in Latin America
- Democratic Citizenship
- Democratic Consolidation
- Democratic Peace Theory
- Democratic Theory
- Democratization in Africa
- Democratization in Central America
- Democratization in Mexico
- Development of Survey Research
- Direct Democracy in the United States
- East Africa, Politics of
- Economic Voting
- Election Forecasting
- Election Laws in Democracies
- Electoral and Party System Development in Sub-Saharan Afri...
- Electoral Change in Latin America
- Emotion and Racial Attitudes in Contemporary American Poli...
- Environmental Governance
- Environmental Politics among Advanced Industrial Democraci...
- Ethnic Diasporas and US Foreign Policy
- Ethnic Politics
- Eurasia, Comparative Politics of
- European Social Democracy
- European Union, Politics of the
- Failed and Weak States in Theory and Practice
- Far-Right Parties in Europe
- Federalism in the United States
- Feminist Political Thought
- Field Experiments
- Filibuster, The
- Gender and Electoral Politics in the United States
- Gender and International Relations
- Gender, Behavior, and Representation
- Global Inequality
- Globalization and the Welfare State
- Globalization, Health Crises, and Health Care
- Governance in Africa
- Governmental Responses to Political Corruption
- Gridlock and Divided Government in the U.S.
- Historiography of Twentieth-Century American Conservatism,...
- Hobbes’s Political Thought
- Hume's Political Thought
- Hybrid Regimes
- Identity and Political Behavior
- Ideological Reasoning in Politics
- Immigrant Incorporation in Canada
- Immigrant Incorporation in Western Europe
- Immigration and International Relations
- Immigration Politics and Policy in the United States
- Impact of Campaign Contributions on Congressional Behavior...
- Implicit Attitudes in Public Opinion
- Income Dynamics and Politics in North America and Europe
- Income Inequality and Advanced Democracies
- Income Inequality in the United States, The Politics of
- Indian Democracy
- Indigenous Rights and Governance in Canada, Australia, and...
- Informal Practices of Accountability in Urban Africa
- Institutional Change in Advanced Democracies
- Intellectual Property in International Relations
- Interest Groups and Inequality in the United States
- Interest Groups in American Politics
- International Conflict Management
- International Criminal Justice
- International Law
- International NGOs
- International Political Economy of Illegal Drugs
- Internet and Politics, The
- Iran, Political Development of
- Israeli Politics
- Judicial Supremacy and National Judicial Review
- Judiciaries and Politics in East Asia
- Kant's Political Thought
- Labor Politics in East Asia
- Land Reform in Latin America
- Latin America, Democratic Transitions in
- Latin America, Environmental Policy and Politics in
- Latin America, Guerrilla Insurgencies in
- Latin America, Social Movements in
- Legal Mobilization
- LGBT Politics in the United States
- Liberal Pluralism
- Local Governments in the United States
- Machiavelli’s Political Thought
- Marx's Political Thought
- Mass Incarceration and US Politics
- Mechanisms of Representation
- Media Effects in Politics
- Media Politics in South Asia
- Minority Political Engagement and Representation in the Un...
- Modern Dynastic Rule
- Modern Elections and Voting Behavior in Europe
- National Interbranch Politics in the United States
- NATO, Politics of
- Negative Campaigning
- Neoclassical Realism
- New Institutionalism Revisited, The
- North America, Comparative Politics of
- Oil, Politics of
- Origins and Impact of Proportional Representation, The
- Outcomes of Social Movements and Protest Activities
- Partisan and Nonpartisan Theories of Organization in the U...
- Partisan Polarization in the US Congress
- Partisan Polarization in the US Electorate
- Party Networks
- Peace Operations
- Personality and Politics
- Plato's Political Thought
- Policy Responsiveness to Public Opinion
- Political Economy of Financial Regulation in Advanced Ind...
- Political Economy of India
- Political Economy of Taxation, The
- Political Geography in American Politics
- Political Obligation
- Political Parties and Electoral Politics of Japan
- Political Thought, Hegel's
- Political Thought of the American Founders, The
- Politics and Policy in Contemporary Argentina
- Politics of Anti-Americanism
- Politics of Class Formation
- Politics of Disaster Prevention and Management
- Politics of Financial Crises
- Politics of Foreign Direct Investment in South Asia
- Politics of Higher Education in the U.S.
- Politics of Internal Conquest in the United States and Can...
- Politics of Japan
- Politics of Natural Disasters, The
- Politics of North Korea
- Politics of Science and Technology
- Politics of South Africa
- Politics of Southern Africa
- Postcolonialism and International Relations
- Post-Communist Democratization
- Preferential Trade Agreements, Politics of
- Presidential Persuasion and Public Opinion
- Presidential Primaries and Caucuses
- Private Governance
- Public Opinion in Advanced Industrial Democracies
- Public Opinion in New Democracies and Developing Nations
- Public Presidency, US Elections, and the Permanent Campaig...
- Qualitative Methods, The Renewal of
- Race in American Political Thought
- Racial and Ethnic Descriptive Representation in the United...
- Regime Transitions and Variation in Post-Communist Europe
- Regional Integration in Latin America
- Regional Security
- Regulating Food Production
- Religion in American Political Thought
- Religion in Contemporary Political Thought
- Religion, Politics, and Civic Engagement in the United Sta...
- Rousseau's Political Thought
- Rule of Law
- Russia and the West
- Science and Democracy
- Social Policy and Immigrant Integration
- South Korea, Politics of
- Spectacle, The
- State Building in Sub-Saharan Africa
- State Formation
- State, The Nature of the
- Supreme Court of the United States, The
- Systemic Theories of International Politics
- Taiwan, Politics of
- Tea Party, The
- The New Right in American Political Thought
- Transitional Justice
- Transnational Private Regulation
- Turkey, Political Development of
- US Military Bases Abroad
- US Presidency, The
- Voter Turnout
- Welfare State Development
- Welfare State Development in Latin America
- Welfare State Development in Western Europe
- West Africa, Politics of
- Worker Politics in China
- Youth and Generational Differences in US Politics