Contemporary democracies are based on the principle of division of labor: citizens delegate the tasks of governing to elected representatives, who are expected to act in the best interests of the people. How the election of representatives is regulated in contemporary democracies greatly differs across countries and even within countries. This is clearly an issue: it affects the significance and legitimacy of an election and shapes the behavior of both parties/candidates and voters, and also the resulting party and government system. Although the literature on election laws has almost entirely focused on electoral systems, they are only one of the components of electoral laws. “Electoral system” refers to the rules that translate the votes cast for political parties and/or candidates into seats. Any electoral system has five key components: the electoral formula (e.g., proportional representation versus majoritarian system); the number of districts and district magnitude; the size of the assembly; the ballot structure (e.g., nominal versus ordinal); and the legal threshold. Electoral systems are part of electoral laws, which regulate all the aspects of governing elections, such as suffrage and registration requirements, fairness of the administration of the election, ease of access to the ballot for would-be candidates, and campaigning (i.e., campaign finance rules, rules on media access, rules on sites where campaigning is forbidden, etc.). With the extension of universal suffrage in democratic regimes in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the electoral system has become the key redistributive component in electoral laws. As a result, the political consequences of electoral laws mainly depend on the electoral system and, not surprisingly, electoral system reform is the fundamental change that electoral laws have undergone since World War II.
Works that go beyond electoral systems and give some idea of the state of the art in electoral law design are scarce. Massicotte, et al. 2004 takes a snapshot sample of sixty-three democracies from every continent to examine six dimensions of election laws: the right to vote, the right to be a candidate, the electoral register, the agency in charge of the election, the procedure for casting votes, and the procedure to sort out winners and losers. The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA) regularly compiles information about electoral laws worldwide. For instance, IDEA has recently published a report on the funding of political parties and election campaigns (Falguera, et al. 2014). Since mid-2012, the Electoral Integrity Project directed by Pippa Norris has offered a systematic assessment of the fairness of elections according to a country expert survey. The survey captures the quality of elections, and in particular: electoral procedures, voter registration, party registration, campaign finance, and the voting process. A volume edited by Norris, et al. 2014 is devoted to the topic of electoral integrity. There are, however, many works providing overviews of electoral systems. Taagepera and Shugart 1989; Carey and Shugart 1995; Colomer 2004; Bormann and Golder 2013; and Reynolds, et al. 2014 offer compendia of electoral systems and electoral reforms, combining cross-sectional and longitudinal perspectives.
Bormann, Nils-Christian, and Matt Golder. “Democratic Electoral Systems around the World, 1946–2011.” Electoral Studies 32 (2013): 360–369.
A recent and complete description of democratic electoral systems employed worldwide from 1946 to 2011.
Carey, John, and Mathew S. Shugart. “Incentives to Cultivate a Personal Vote: A Rank Ordering of Electoral Formulas.” Electoral Studies 14 (1995): 417–439.
Presents a ranking of electoral formulas according to the incentives they provide to cultivate personal votes, from the most party-centered to the most candidate-centered.
Colomer, Josep M., ed. Handbook of Electoral Systems Choice. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2004.
A detailed description of the historical evolution of electoral systems worldwide, with a special interest in the selection and reform of electoral rules.
Falguera, Elin, Samuel Jones, and Magnus Ohman, eds. Funding of Political Parties and Election Campaigns: A Handbook of Political Finance. Stockholm: International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance, 2014.
Includes information about the regulations on political party and candidate finance in 180 countries around the world.
Massicotte, Louis, André Blais, and Antoine Yoshinaka. Establishing the rules of the Game: Election Laws in Democracies. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2004.
An accessible book that goes beyond electoral systems and covers the other dimensions of election laws in sixty democracies around the world.
Norris, Pippa, Richard W. Frank, and Ferran Martínez i Coma, eds. Advancing Electoral Integrity. New York: Oxford University Press, 2014.
Collects essays analyzing flaws in electoral integrity in several areas in the world in an accessible manner.
Reynolds, Andrew, Ben Reilly, and Andrew Ellis, eds. Electoral System Design: The New International IDEA Handbook. Stockholm: International Institute for Electoral Assistance, 2014.
An accessible overview of electoral systems employed in the world nowadays. In addition to a thorough description of electoral systems, it includes a discussion about their consequences and implications.
Taagepera, Rein, and Matthew S. Shugart. Seats and Votes: The Effects and Determinants of Electoral Systems. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 1989.
A complete review of empirical knowledge about electoral systems from a quantitative and formal perspective. Although published in 1989, it still offers a sharp analysis of most of the issues relevant in electoral system scholarship nowadays.
Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content on this page. Please subscribe or login.
How to Subscribe
Oxford Bibliographies Online is available by subscription and perpetual access to institutions. For more information or to contact an Oxford Sales Representative click here.
Purchase an Ebook Version of This Article
Ebooks of the Oxford Bibliographies Online subject articles are available in North America via a number of retailers including Amazon, vitalsource, and more. Simply search on their sites for Oxford Bibliographies Online Research Guides and your desired subject article.
If you would like to purchase an eBook article and live outside North America please email firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest.
- Advanced Democracies, Electoral System Reform in
- Advanced Democracies, Public Opinion and Public Policy in
- Advertising and Election Campaigns in the United States
- Africa, Comparative Politics of
- American Indian Politics
- Arab-Israel Conflict, The
- Arendt, Hannah
- Aristotle's Political Thought
- Australia and New Zealand, Comparative Politics of
- Authoritarianism in Russia
- Bicameralism in Stable Democracies
- Biopolitics and State Regulation of Human Life
- Brazilian Political Development
- Business-State Relations in Europe
- Campaign Finance in the Era of Super-PACS
- Canadian Foreign Policy
- Candidate Emergence and Recruitment
- Channels of Electoral Representation in Advanced Industria...
- China's One-Child Policy
- China-Taiwan Relations
- Chinese Communist Party
- Chinese Economic Policy
- Chinese Nationalism
- Civil Society in South Asia
- Civil War in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Civil-Military Relations in Asia
- Civil-Military Relations in Latin America
- Class in American Politics
- Comparative Capitalism Theory
- Comparative Industrial Relations in Europe
- Comparative Politics of Angola, Mozambique, and Guinea-Bis...
- Comparative Politics of Chile and Uruguay
- Comparative Politics of Federalism
- Comparative Politics of the Middle East and North Africa
- Congress, Defense, and Foreign Policy
- Congressional Reassertion of Authority
- Conservative Litigation Strategies and Groups in US Judici...
- Corruption in China
- Cosmopolitan Political Thought
- Crisis of European Integration in Historical Perspective, ...
- Critical Theory and the Frankfurt School
- Cuban Political Development
- Cycles of Protest
- Democracy and Authoritarianism in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Democracy and Dictatorship in Central Asia
- Democracy in Latin America
- Democratic Citizenship
- Democratic Consolidation
- Democratic Peace Theory
- Democratic Theory
- Democratization in Africa
- Democratization in Central America
- Democratization in Mexico
- Development of Survey Research
- Direct Democracy in the United States
- East Africa, Politics of
- Economic Voting
- Election Forecasting
- Election Laws in Democracies
- Electoral and Party System Development in Sub-Saharan Afri...
- Electoral Change in Latin America
- Emotion and Racial Attitudes in Contemporary American Poli...
- Environmental Governance
- Environmental Politics among Advanced Industrial Democraci...
- Ethnic Diasporas and US Foreign Policy
- Ethnic Politics
- Eurasia, Comparative Politics of
- European Social Democracy
- European Union, Politics of the
- Failed and Weak States in Theory and Practice
- Far-Right Parties in Europe
- Federalism in the United States
- Field Experiments
- Filibuster, The
- Gender and Electoral Politics in the United States
- Gender and International Relations
- Gender, Behavior, and Representation
- Global Inequality
- Globalization and the Welfare State
- Globalization, Health Crises, and Health Care
- Governance in Africa
- Governmental Responses to Political Corruption
- Gridlock and Divided Government in the U.S.
- Historiography of Twentieth-Century American Conservatism,...
- Hobbes’s Political Thought
- Hume’s Political Thought
- Hybrid Regimes
- Identity and Political Behavior
- Immigrant Incorporation in Canada
- Immigrant Incorporation in Western Europe
- Immigration and International Relations
- Immigration Politics and Policy in the United States
- Impact of Campaign Contributions on Congressional Behavior...
- Implicit Attitudes in Public Opinion
- Income Dynamics and Politics in North America and Europe
- Income Inequality and Advanced Democracies
- Income Inequality in the United States, The Politics of
- Indian Democracy
- Indigenous Rights and Governance in Canada, Australia, and...
- Informal Practices of Accountability in Urban Africa
- Institutional Change in Advanced Democracies
- Intellectual Property in International Relations
- Interest Groups and Inequality in the United States
- Interest Groups in American Politics
- International Conflict Management
- International Criminal Justice
- International Law
- International NGOs
- International Political Economy of Illegal Drugs
- Internet and Politics, The
- Iran, Political Development of
- Israeli Politics
- Judicial Supremacy and National Judicial Review
- Judiciaries and Politics in East Asia
- Kant's Political Thought
- Labor Politics in East Asia
- Land Reform in Latin America
- Latin America, Democratic Transitions in
- Latin America, Environmental Policy and Politics in
- Latin America, Guerrilla Insurgencies in
- Latin America, Social Movements in
- Legal Mobilization
- LGBT Politics in the United States
- Liberal Pluralism
- Local Governments in the United States
- Machiavelli’s Political Thought
- Marx's Political Thought
- Mass Incarceration and US Politics
- Mechanisms of Representation
- Media Effects in Politics
- Media Politics in South Asia
- Minority Political Engagement and Representation in the Un...
- Modern Dynastic Rule
- Modern Elections and Voting Behavior in Europe
- National Interbranch Politics in the United States
- NATO, Politics of
- Negative Campaigning
- Neoclassical Realism
- New Institutionalism Revisited, The
- North America, Comparative Politics of
- Oil, Politics of
- Origins and Impact of Proportional Representation, The
- Outcomes of Social Movements and Protest Activities
- Partisan and Nonpartisan Theories of Organization in the U...
- Partisan Polarization in the US Congress
- Partisan Polarization in the US Electorate
- Party Networks
- Peace Operations
- Personality and Politics
- Plato's Political Thought
- Policy Responsiveness to Public Opinion
- Political Economy of Financial Regulation in Advanced Ind...
- Political Economy of Taxation, The
- Political Geography in American Politics
- Political Obligation
- Political Parties and Electoral Politics of Japan
- Political Thought, Hegel's
- Political Thought of the American Founders, The
- Politics and Policy in Contemporary Argentina
- Politics of Anti-Americanism
- Politics of Class Formation
- Politics of Disaster Prevention and Management
- Politics of Financial Crises
- Politics of Foreign Direct Investment in South Asia
- Politics of Higher Education in the U.S.
- Politics of Internal Conquest in the United States and Can...
- Politics of Japan
- Politics of Natural Disasters, The
- Politics of North Korea
- Politics of Science and Technology
- Politics of South Africa
- Politics of Southern Africa
- Postcolonialism and International Relations
- Post-Communist Democratization
- Preferential Trade Agreements, Politics of
- Presidential Persuasion and Public Opinion
- Presidential Primaries and Caucuses
- Private Governance
- Public Opinion in Advanced Industrial Democracies
- Public Opinion in New Democracies and Developing Nations
- Public Presidency, US Elections, and the Permanent Campaig...
- Qualitative Methods, The Renewal of
- Race in American Political Thought
- Racial and Ethnic Descriptive Representation in the United...
- Regime Transitions and Variation in Post-Communist Europe
- Regional Integration in Latin America
- Regional Security
- Regulating Food Production
- Religion in American Political Thought
- Religion in Contemporary Political Thought
- Religion, Politics, and Civic Engagement in the United Sta...
- Rousseau's Political Thought
- Rule of Law
- Russia and the West
- Science and Democracy
- Social Policy and Immigrant Integration
- South Korea, Politics of
- Spectacle, The
- State Building in Sub-Saharan Africa
- State Formation
- State, The Nature of the
- Supreme Court of the United States, The
- Systemic Theories of International Politics
- Taiwan, Politics of
- Tea Party, The
- The New Right in American Political Thought
- Transitional Justice
- Transnational Private Regulation
- Turkey, Political Development of
- US Military Bases Abroad
- US Presidency, The
- Voter Turnout
- Welfare State Development
- Welfare State Development in Latin America
- Welfare State Development in Western Europe
- West Africa, Politics of
- Worker Politics in China
- Youth and Generational Differences in US Politics