Organizational Assessment and Technology
- LAST MODIFIED: 28 February 2017
- DOI: 10.1093/obo/9780199846740-0119
- LAST MODIFIED: 28 February 2017
- DOI: 10.1093/obo/9780199846740-0119
Organizational assessment refers to a broad range of tactics (e.g., biographical data, cognitive ability tests, integrity tests, assessment centers, interviews, job knowledge tests, physical ability tests, personality tests, simulations) that are used to evaluate employees within a business context. In the late 20th and early 21st centuries, technological innovation has pushed the boundaries of the assessment industry, and the rate of change has been dramatically increasing. In fact, the speed of innovation has been so pronounced that it has outpaced the available research needed to support its use. While research on technology-enhanced assessment has clearly accelerated over the past several years, there are still large gaps in our knowledge base associated with technical innovations. This bibliography covers a broad range of assessment technologies with an emphasis on those currently in use by organizations and presents the most up-to-date research available.
Handbooks and Textbooks
The vast majority of relevant books on technology-enhanced assessment are published as applied handbooks. Recent and broad reviews of assessment approaches are provided in Farr and Tippins 2013 and Schmitt 2013. Thornton, et al. 2014 offers specific insights into assessment centers while the intersection of assessment and technology, including issues related to psychological measurement and ethical considerations, is explored in Scott and Reynolds 2010, Tippins and Adler 2011, Fetzer and Tuzinski 2013, and Drasgow 2015.
Drasgow, Fritz, ed. Technology and Testing: Improving Educational and Psychological Measurement. New York: Routledge, 2015.
Broadly covers testing across educational and applied settings. Also covers a wide range of current technologies and how they are used in the 21st century.
Farr, James L., and Nancy T. Tippins, eds. Handbook of Employee Selection. New York: Routledge, 2013.
Focuses on assessments used in the context of selecting employees for entry or promotion into positions, this handbook includes numerous chapters dealing with the science of selection. Assessment technology is integrated into various chapters.
Fetzer, Michael, and Kathy Tuzinski, eds. Simulations for Personnel Selection. New York: Springer, 2013.
Focuses on specific types of assessments (i.e., simulations), which are inherently oriented to new technology. Each chapter presents various types of simulation technology and how this is used in organizations in the 21st century.
Schmitt, Neal, ed. The Oxford Handbook of Personnel Assessment and Selection. New York: Oxford University Press, 2013.
Another broad-based handbook focused on the applied use of assessments in organizations. This book also includes a chapter that is specifically focused on web-based assessments.
Scott, John C., and Douglas H. Reynolds, eds. Handbook of Workplace Assessment: Evidence-based Practices for Selecting and Developing Organizational Talent. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2010.
Provides a broad-based overview of current assessment practices. Many chapters include references to new assessment technology.
Thornton, George C., III, Deborah E. Rupp, and Brian J. Hoffman. Assessment Center Perspectives for Talent Management Strategies. 2d ed. New York: Routledge, 2014.
Focus is on a specific type of assessment approach (i.e., assessment centers) and specifically calls out technologies associated with assessment centers.
Tippins, Nancy T., and Seymour Adler, eds. Technology-enhanced Assessment of Talent. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2011.
This handbook focuses squarely on leveraging technology to assess employees in an applied setting. Many types of assessments are covered, and both challenges and benefits provided by technology are highlighted.
Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content on this page. Please subscribe or login.
- Abusive Supervision
- Adverse Impact and Equal Employment Opportunity Analytics
- Alternative Work Arrangements
- Applied Political Risk Analysis
- Approaches to Social Responsibility
- Assessment Centers: Theory, Practice and Research
- Authentic Leadership
- Bayesian Statistics
- Behavior, Organizational
- Behavioral Approach to Leadership
- Behavioral Theory of the Firm
- Between Organizations, Social Networks in and
- Brokerage in Networks
- Career Studies
- Charismatic and Innovative Team Leadership By and For Mill...
- Charismatic and Transformational Leadership
- Compensation, Rewards, Remuneration
- Computational Modeling
- Conditional Reasoning
- Conflict Management
- Corporate Social Performance
- Counterproductive Work Behavior (CWB)
- Cross-Cultural Communication
- Cross-Cultural Management
- Cultural Intelligence
- Culture, Organization
- Data Analytic Methods
- Decision Making
- Emotional Labor
- Employee Aging
- Employee Engagement
- Employee Voice
- Empowerment, Psychological
- Entrepreneurship, Corporate
- Entrepreneurship, Women's
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Faking in Personnel Selection
- Family Business, Managing
- Financial Markets in Organization Theory and Economic Soci...
- Findings, Reporting Research
- Fit, Person-Environment
- Goal Setting
- Hofstedes Cultural Dimensions
- Human Capital Resource Pipelines
- Human Resource Management
- Human Resource Management, Strategic
- Human Resources, Global
- Human Rights
- Humanitarian Work Psychology
- Humility in Management
- Impression Management at Work
- Innovative Behavior
- Intelligence, Emotional
- International Economic Development and SMEs
- International Economic Systems
- International Strategic Alliances
- Job Analysis and Competency Modeling
- Job Crafting
- Job Design
- Job Satisfaction
- Knowledge Sharing and Collaboration within and across Firm...
- Leader-Member Exchange
- Leadership Development
- Leadership Development and Organizational Change, Coaching...
- Leadership, Ethical
- Leadership, Global and Comparative
- Leadership, Strategic
- Management History
- Management In Antiquity
- Meaningful Work
- Multinational Corporations and Emerging Markets
- Neo-institutional Theory
- Neuroscience, Organizational
- Organization Design, Global
- Organization Development and Change
- Organization Theory
- Organizational Adaptation
- Organizational Behavior, Emotions in
- Organizational Citizenship Behaviors (OCBs)
- Organizational Corruption
- Organizational Identity
- Organizational Justice
- Organizational Legitimacy
- Organizational Networks
- Organizational Performance, Personality Theory and
- Organizational Responsibility
- Organizational Surveys, Driving Change Through
- Organizations, Big Data in
- Organizations, Political Ideology in
- Organizations, Social Identity Processes in
- Paternalistic Leadership
- Pay for Skills, Knowledge, and Competencies
- People Analytics
- Performance Appraisal
- Planning And Goal Setting
- Psychological Contracts
- Psychological Safety
- Regional Entrepreneurship
- Reputation, Organizational Image and
- Research, Ethics in
- Research, Longitudinal
- Research Methods
- Research Methods, Qualitative
- Resource-Dependence Theory
- Response Surface Analysis, Polynomial Regression and
- Role of Time in Organizational Studies
- Safety, Work Place
- Selection, Applicant Reactions to
- Self-Fulfilling Prophecy In Management
- Self-Management and Personal Agency
- Sensemaking in and around Organizations
- Service Management
- Shared Team Leadership
- Status in Organizations
- Strategic Alliances
- Strategic Human Capital
- Strategy and Cognition
- Structural Contingency Theory/Information Processing Theor...
- Team Conflict
- Team Newcomers
- Teams, Global
- Technology and Innovation Management
- Technology, Organizational Assessment and
- the Workplace, Millennials in
- Theory X and Theory Y
- Time and Motion Studies
- Training and Development
- Training Evaluation
- Trust in Organizational Contexts
- Unobtrusive Measures
- Virtual Teams
- Work and Family: An Organizational Science Overview
- Work Contexts, Nonverbal Communication in
- Work, Mindfulness at
- Workplace Commitment
- Workplace Gossip
- Workplace Meetings
- Workplace, Spiritual Leadership in the
- World War II, Management Research during